Courtesy of All Recipes
Original recipe makes 4 servings
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, grated
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- Rinse lentils and place in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a bowl, stir together tomato puree and yogurt. Season with garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and chile powder. Stir until creamy.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, and ginger; cook until onion begins to brown. Stir in spinach; cook until dark green and wilted. Gradually stir in yogurt mixture. Then mix in tomatoes and cilantro.
- Stir lentils and mixed beans into mixture until well combined. Heat through, about 5 minutes.